November 17, 2003

:: Contract talks start for Owen ::

Michael Owen has hit back at last weeks reports that he could walk out Liverpool if they fail to qualify for next seasons Champions League competition. "After Steven Gerrard signed his new contract, it was inevitable all the attention would turn to me and my future. The stories which followed resulted from some comments which I gave to a magazine several months ago. Some of the words I never even said and the rest were taken completely out of context." "They have led to a lot of false claims that I will walk out on Liverpool if we don't get into the Champions League. It has all got completely out of hand." "I want every supporter to know that I am as committed to Liverpool as any player at the club. I have been the same ever since I first came to Anfield as an 11-year-old." "I believe my ambitions can be fulfilled at Liverpool. I find it a little insulting that, after 12 years' service, my loyalty is being questioned. I have signed five contracts with Liverpool and on each occasion they have been sorted out very quickly and satisfactorily." "I wouldn't normally comment on gossip and speculation but I felt I should put the record straight for all Liverpool fans." "My position is this: I have got 18 months left on my contract, and we have started negotiating. We have had one meeting, and talks will go on into the new year.''

source: YNWA/shanklygates/TEAMtalk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home